Friday, March 25, 2016

Book Promo: Color Blind + Excerpt




Color Blind
Color Blind # 1
Genre- YA paranormal
By- Penny Miller

All her life Harmony Phillips has felt defective. Growing up in a paranormal community where magikal abilities come from the wavelengths of color, a color blind girl is worthless, and they haven't let her forget it. No one but her adoptive parents, Charlie a Were-Lion and Sarah a Witch, along with her best friend Tesch, a Siren, have ever given her an ounce of esteem. When a fit of outrage unlocks the color yellow to her eyes, Harmony passes out cold with shock over her eggs and accidentally glamours her nemesis Challen Parks into a cowardly golden retriever. As other colors unfold before her eyes, so do new abilities. Love and friendship get turned upside down as Harmony struggles to have faith in people, discovering they are not always as they seem. The misfit becomes the outlaw as she is once again different from everyone else. What began as joy turns to peril when the paranormal Council finds out she is more than a Witch, or a Were or a Fae... oh my.

  

For lots of fun games, q & a with the author and prizes head to the Facebook Party Event

Excerpt Four from Chapter Eleven: Harmony and Tesch have gone to the Samhain Carnival, a bi-annual tradition for them. This fall there is are new attractions including a fortune teller’s tent. Harmony is having her tarot cards read.
“Now we reach the final outcome. What will be the results of the learning, the journey, the gossip? What does the Fool become? Let us see.”
She turned my last card. I, the Empress, sat in the wheat field again. This time perched on a stone bench in a flowing green gown. A crown of stars rested on my head. I held a golden scepter in my right hand. In the distance a waterfall cascaded, becoming a flowing river of life.  
Magik moved in the air, and I could almost see it shimmering in the atmosphere. Power covered me so heavy and thick, I might have choked but for the solidness of Tesch at my side. He tied me to the real world, not as an anchor, but as a safety line, lest I float away on the mystic breeze. I felt this card reflected me, or would someday.
“The Empress is a symbol of new life, new beginnings, of nurturing and diplomacy. This is a card of evolution. She can also be just what is seen, a benevolent ruler of all.” Madame Osza’s voice came in a hushed whisper.
I tore my eyes from the card to meet her single dark stare. “Who are you?”
“Me, I am no one of import to a queen, but to a fool, a wanderer…maybe I am a messenger. The question is, young woman, who are you?”
I felt the weight of the question. Did I really want it answered?  
I believed. I believed that she did have insight to my future. There were many things about what she’s said and the cards that rang true. Some I thought I could handle, no problem. Gossip, getting some powers finally, the change of the status quo between Tesch and me seemed more in line with normal, para development.
But a journey, becoming a recluse, the pale horseman? The Empress?  
Those cards gave me ideas about a future I wasn’t sure I wanted. But whose future is ever theirs alone to decide or take credit for? No man is truly the master of his own fate. Not so long as his life includes other living beings capable of mucking up the best plans and intentions.  
“Come on, Harmony. Let’s go home.”
Tesch, forever at my side, always there to make the best of any situation or to protect me from it, put a firm but gentle hand around my upper arm and pulled me to my feet. I felt dazed, only nodding my assent. So many thoughts swirled in my head.
Tesch guided me to the tent flap and lifted the heavy burlap. Abruptly, I turned back to Madame Osza, a new thought in my head.  
“You’re like me aren’t you? You are mixed blood.”

She gave me a sad but open look and sighed. “My lady, there is no one like you.”



About the Author-
Penny Miller is a born and bred Oklahoman. She has a nursing degree from Eastern  Penny Miller Oklahoma State College and is a Registered Nurse in addition to being an author. Penny wrote her first short story complete with illustrations when she was seven-years-old and has been writing ideas and bits of dialogue ever since. As a child, her mother regularly read to her classic faery tales. It was those stories that ignited her imagination and attraction to the magical and whimsical. With her three children Robert, Amy and Cheyenne, she carried on the tradition of introducing them to fantasy and other worlds through stories. Three years ago, she co-authored erotic romance e-books under the pseudonym Jp Archer. At that time her daughters asked her when she was going to write stories they could read. Penny went to her keyboard and dug in and her debut solo novel, Color Blind, was born. Most importantly, creating a story in the Young Adult/Paranormal genre is where she found her true voice as a writer. She hopes readers will become fans of her heroine Harmony Phillips and follow her story through the next phases; Colorful and Colorless.

Social media links-


No comments: