Friday, December 25, 2015

Book Review: All Groan Up by Paul Angone


Review



SPOILER-FREE

First, I wanted to mention that I found out about Paul Angone when I read his blog post 21 Secrets for Your 20’s which I highly recommend you read since it's free, and what do you have to lose? That post has since gone viral and Paul expanded his blog post into a book called 101 Secrets For Your Twenties which is a fantastic read so if you like the post you'll love the book.

Ok, back to the review of All Groan Up. I got this book awhile ago as part of the Launch Team and I feel terrible that I hadn't reviewed it yet. It's not because the book was difficult to get into but I just haven't been able to start books as easily this past year. I haven't even made my book reading goal on GoodReads which was the same as last year.

I finally got myself to pick the book up this past week and sped through after that. The stories kept me intrigued and they easily dove into the heart of the matter. We speed through the author's life and the have glimpses of his experiences along the way.

I'm not sure what I expected when I read this book, maybe something along the line of it being similar to the blog post but it was my misunderstanding. For me, the book felt more like a memoir of the author's life which is fine but memoirs are not my go-to genre. However, I found this book easy to get into because of the author's humorous, honest, and relatable voice. I read on because I was curious of the author's outcome in each life situation.

There are moments during the book where I want to shout, "Yes! That's exactly what I'm feeling right now!" Some events more than others, but there's bound to be at least one story and lesson that a reader can relate to in the book.

My only complaint is that while the book explained these stories, it didn't really help the reader solve the problem in the segment of the story. It leaves the reader hanging as to how to fix or prevent these situations. Not that I expected the author to solve these problems for me. For some reason, I thought we'd learn a little more about how the author handled the problems or persevered through the trying times. Instead, we skip to another story not quite solving the previous story.

Currently, I'm in the state the author was when he wrote the story. Lost, confused, and trying to find myself. Humbly, I'm better off than most but not at all where I want to be at my stage of life so a few stories strike a chord for me. This book helps me understand that I'm not the only one who is at this stage of life and that it's ok. While deep down inside I knew this, it's also reassuring to know that there are others out there like me.

While this book isn't for those who want a how-to book in life, it's good umbrella of stories to illustrate that the conflicting emotions of what you're going through is normal. I recommend this book if you feel the need to know that you aren't the only one who is lost or confused in life and are ok with not having a good answer as to how to solve this other than moving forward. Highly recommended for millennials.


3.5 out of 5 rating for me!

(A copy was provided for an honest review. I was not compensated in any other way.)


Paul is the best-selling author of 101 Secrets For Your Twenties and All Groan Up: Searching For Self, Faith, and a Freaking Job!, a sought-after national keynote speaker for corporations and universities, and the creator of AllGroanUp.com, which has been read by millions of people in 190 countries. In his spare time he also likes to make spoof videos using eggs as props.

No comments: