Friday, August 14, 2015

Book Review: The Surrogate Sea (The Wilderhark Tales #6)




Review

MINOR SPOILERS

I know this is late. This is in part of The Wilderhark tales reviews (1:The Swan Prince, 2: The Stone Kingdom, 3: The Seventh Spell, 4: The Song Caster, 5: The Sun's Rival, 6.5: The Sky-Child and Other Stories).

*Sigh* I struggled reading through this story for some reason. I think my main issue is that I couldn't relate to the main characters. Liliavaine is the main character, little sister of Laraspur (who I loved), but I didn't like Lily much in The Sun's Rival. I thought maybe she'd grow up and mature in this story but I didn't see it in this book. I couldn't get into her character or her actions. I also did not care at all for her love interest who lied and manipulated everyone. I love a good twist or deception but this one seemed like he got away with it and had little repercussions. I found it unbelievable how Lily fell in love and in such little time. I think more than 3 days would be needed to grow to love someone.

Ion, who I thought was reasonable, was not at all reasonable in this story and it irked me with who he chose in the end. I had such high hopes for him because next to Lara, he was my next favorite of the siblings. I think both Denebdeor royals had chosen poorly and my heart drips with disappointment.

I certainly felt bad for many people in this book. Very tragic how it ended and definitely not my preferred ending. With all of Shipley's other endings, I thought it would turn out differently but maybe she wanted to change things up a bit. She certainly did that with this story.

Some things I did enjoy in this story is the way The Great Sea is allowed to move around. That's something I'd love to be able to do. Exploring the depths and even the heights of the world. I'm glad we got to see that and how the sea and wind work together. I also loved seeing Rosalba and Edgwyn again (my favorite Wilderhark couple) as well as Lumond and Lara.

Shipley's writing is nice, but again I couldn't quite connect to the characters. I had high hopes with the meshing of two of my favorite fairy tales, the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, However, I was not satisfied with this story but perhaps that's just my view of the story. Perhaps you may enjoy more than I. If you're not a HEA fan you may like this story. It's a HFN but depending which characters you're rooting for in the story.


2.8 out of 5 for me!


(An ARC was provided by the author for an honest review. I was not compensated in any other way.)


No comments: