Book Review: The Vampire of Vancouver (Lovers and Liars #2) by Liz Meldon (18+)

The Vampire of Vancouver (Lovers and Liars #2)

Review

(18 and older only)

SPOILER-FREE

Yay! So I had been excited to read this story but hadn't had the time until now to read it. I had read and reviewed the first book in this series, Maenad in Manhattan and absolutely loved it! The writing is still as lovely as always and the pages flew by as I read. No worries about this being a slow read despite it being longer than the previous book.

I still loved this book, almost as much as the first one but just in a slightly different way. This time Loki and Aphrodite are in Vancouver which is unknown territory for me since I've never been to Canada. Ms. Meldon does a good job immersing the reader into the world so I had no problems visualizing the location despite having never visited there.

I enjoyed seeing Loki and Aphrodite be more fleshed out in this book. We get to see their insecurities and flaws more in this book than the previous. It's was a double edged sword for me, while I enjoyed seeing that develop, I actually began to dislike Loki a bit while it endeared me to Aphrodite. Perhaps, it's the stubbornness of Loki that I dislike or the way he sort of looks down on Aphrodite but I hope to see that rectified later in the series. I do believe that he'll change in the end but it's going to be a slow transition. I hope to see some growth with Aphrodite as well.

I love that Meldon makes this story a little more plot/story driven than the first story. The first story had a story line too but it wasn't as focused on plot so much as lovemaking. We don't get as much of the lovemaking in this second book. Instead we get to see the gods interact more with humans and the regular world, of course, with the addition of vampires.

I did notice a slight lack of interest for me while reading this story. It's probably just me but I didn't feel as excited as I read this story in comparison to the first. It might have been because Aphrodite wasn't as proactive or my indifferent feeling towards Loki made me less interested. Either way, there's not as much spark of interest in there as the first book but I still had no problems reading through it.

The book is well written and fast paced and if you liked the first one I believe you'll enjoy this book too. It's a nicely written sequel to the first book of the series and you'll get to see the gods interact with modern humans which is always fun to see. I think there is an over-arcing story line in this series but I'm not quite sure what it is yet but what I'd love to see is more interactions with some Gods. 


3.6 out of 5 rating for me!


(A copy was provided for an honest review. I was not compensated in any other way.)


0 comments: