Book Review: Engage by Erica Crouch


Release Day: Engage, by Erica Crouch
Engage by Erica Crouch 
Series: Ignite #2.5 
Published by Patchwork Press on May 5, 2015 
Genres: Fantasy, LGBT, Paranormal, Young Adult 
Pages: 128 


Synopsis:
Kalaziel is a terrible guardian angel: her temper’s shorter than she is, she swears, she’s missing a wing, and she sees no problem with letting man make their own choices—no matter how questionable. That’s what free will is all about, right? Her overseers disagree.

After she mishandles an assignment, Heaven strips Kala of her title and throws her back into training, hoping to reinforce the covenant of vows she swore to uphold as a guardian. But the angels’ motives aren’t as pure as they appear: they want to eradicate any opinions that conflict with Heaven’s code.

With a mass cleansing on the horizon, Kala discovers she is not alone in her insubordination; there are other angels who are restless with the stasis of Heaven and ready for change. Progress doesn’t come easily, though, especially when it means uniting ancient enemies to fight for a common cause.

Engage is a novella that prequels Kala and Ana’s story in Incite.

Like EnticeEngage is available as both a paperback and an ebook, so you can have it sitting on both your physical bookshelf or your virtual one! You can order Engage from:

Sign up to participate in the Infinite cover reveal May 15th! Just a little over a month until the conclusion of the series comes out -- Infinite will be available June 16th, so mark your calendars!

Review

SPOILER-FREE


Yay! I am fortunate enough to have a chance to read Engage and am happy to say that I enjoyed it! If you liked the previous books and were curious about Kala then you'll definitely want to pick this up. If you haven't read this series yet, check out my reviews for the first couple of books here

When I met Kala in Incite I knew I'd love her and was ecstatic when I found out that Crouch planned to write from Kala's point of view in this novella. Reading this book made me confirm that I did indeed love her (there was honestly very little doubt that I wouldn't)! 

I like where we start in Kala's story, it's after the war but before some things that happen in Incite. The writing is tight and straight forward, which I liked, no wandering scenes or prose here. Since this book is a novella I had no problem reading it, in fact, I immersed myself so easily that I read this in one sitting.

The romance with Ana is sweet although a tiny complaint on my end is not getting enough of Ana's perspective. I can see why Ana would love Kala but I wish I could get more in Ana's head to know for sure why she had fallen for Kala.

I absolutely loved that we got to see Zo in more depth in this story, even if it had been a tiny bit. I laughed out loud when I read the joke based on the Disney reference. I see what you did there and it made me love Kala (and Crouch) all the more.

Highly recommended if you enjoyed the first few books in Crouch's Ignite series. Especially if you liked reading about Kala in Incite.


3.6 out of 5 rating for me!

(A copy was provided for an honest review. I was not compensated in any other way.)

About Erica Crouch

tumblr_n85r8jBqDs1qbi12wo1_500

Erica Crouch is a young adult and new adult author from Baltimore, Maryland. She has a strange blended aesthetic of cute and spooky, and her books reflect her ever changing mood. (You may find romance, you may find gore—sometimes both in the same book, but probably not at the same time. Probably.) Erica is the cofounder of Patchwork Press, an author-powered publisher of middle grade, young adult, and new adult titles. She is the head of editorial services and design, with nearly fifty projects to her name.


0 comments: