Comic Review: Sisters (Smile #2)


The companion to Raina Telgemeier's #1 NEW YORK TIMES bestselling and Eisner Award-winning graphic memoir, SMILE.

Raina can't wait to be a big sister. But once Amara is born, things aren't quite how she expected them to be. Amara is cute, but she's also a cranky, grouchy baby, and mostly prefers to play by herself. Their relationship doesn't improve much over the years, but when a baby brother enters the picture and later, something doesn't seem right between their parents, they realize they must figure out how to get along. They are sisters, after all.

Raina uses her signature humor and charm in both present-day narrative and perfectly placed flashbacks to tell the story of her relationship with her sister, which unfolds during the course of a road trip from their home in San Francisco to a family reunion in Colorado.

SPOILER-FREE


Overall, I thought this comic was cute. I didn't read the first book, Smile, so I just jumped right in to this story not really knowing what to expect. It did just fine reading as a standalone story. I found the story heart warming and sweet but it didn't have any real depth for me. It appears that these comics are autobiographical so these stories may mean more to the author than it does for the reader.

The art is good, I like it and I chuckled a bit at a few of the expressions and reactions in the book. I can relate to that with my younger siblings. I was part way through reading it where I was wondering where the story was going or even what was the point of the story. I suppose it was about the relationship between the sisters but it was kind of minimal to me.

The pacing was fine but the plot was kind of boring for me. I guess I expected more wacky adventures or situations to happen between the characters so it seemed a little lacking to me. I think I may have had higher hopes with this story just because the story won an award and that it was on a NYT bestselling list. For me, this story was fine but it didn't hit me emotionally or that deep as I had expected that it would based on all the raving reviews. Still Ms. Telgemeier is a wonderful cartoonist and I did enjoy the story but would personally like a little more emotional punch when reading the story.


3 out of 5 rating for me.


(An ARC was provided by Netgalley for an honest review. I was not compensated in any other way.)

0 comments: