Book Review: Strong Female Protagonist Book One


With superstrength and invulnerability, Alison Green used to be one of the most powerful superheroes around. Fighting crime with other teenagers under the alter ego Mega Girl was fun - until an encounter with Menace, her mind-reading arch enemy, showed her evidence of a sinister conspiracy, and suddenly battling giant robots didn't seem so important. Now Alison is going to college and trying to find ways to help the world while still getting to class on time. It's impossible to escape the past, however, and everyone has their own idea of what it means to be a hero.... After a phenomenal success on Kickstarter, Brennan Lee Mulligan and Molly Ostertag bring their popular webcomic into print, collecting the first four issues, as well as some all-new, full-color pages!

SPOILER-FREE

I actually like this story which, as the title states, is about a strong female protagonist. While I know there are a few people out there who do not like the term "strong female protagonist" I don't have a problem with it. I feel like the main character, Alison Green, is also a well written character as with all the other side characters. Alison Green is a super hero who is now trying to live a normal life which I think is an interesting take on the super hero story because usually it's the other way around.

It is sort of comparable to the movie "The Incredibles" but only the daughter is a super hero and I think it lacks the humor that "The Incredibles" has and Alison doesn't attempt to be a super hero again in costume. Now she just displays her powers whenever she needs to and sometimes it scares people which I think is accurate.

The art is nice and cartoon-like which gets the story meaning across. I like the diversity of the characters in appearance and beliefs. There is a lot of depth that goes into the story which is nice but that also leads to a lot of tedious reading. In my opinion, there is a little more text in the speech bubbles than I would prefer but it's not too annoying. It does slow a reader down.

I like the super hero characters but their powers aren't really anything new or special but if you like super heroes then I think you'll like this story. I like that it stars a female hero instead of a usual male hero but there are plenty of heroes of all types in this story. This story is about trying to live a normal life despite her past super hero fame. If you like super powers mixed with some contemporary situations with a dash of fighting scenes this I recommend you pick this up.

You can find this story free online at strongfemaleprotagonist.com.


3.7 out of 5 rating for me.


(An ARC was provided by Netgalley for an honest review. I was not compensated in any other way.)

0 comments: