Friday, December 12, 2014

Comic Review: Stones of Power

Stones of Power by Azumi Isora

Cafe Renard seems to be your run-of-the-mill establishment, but it is more than meets the eye. When strangers stumble upon the hidden secret within an average business front, they find a mysterious woman selling stones with magical properties. Before they know it they are transported on strange adventures of science fiction and fantasy.

MINOR SPOILERS


This manga, or comic, was cute. I would consider it urban fantasy where fantasy meets the real world. I was intrigued by the story but it was a little slow. The story is fairly original so I am interested in seeing how this story would continue. This is only the first in what is likely a series.

The characters were entertaining but I feel like they didn't stand out enough for me. They were kind of stereotypical and not unique for me. Didn't help that they were all mysterious so you don't really know what's going on with them. This may need time to help us understand as the characters develop.

I love the art, it was lovely but I felt like the characters were always stoic. They didn't have enough facial expressions for me to consider it amazing. I would have liked a little more humor. The flow of the images could have been a little better because there were some points where I was reading where I wondered if I missed a page or panel. It was very fantasy-esque so you don't  miss that part in the art or writing.

If you like to read manga with a fantasy meets reality with mythical creatures, I recommend that you pick this up. :D

3 out of 5 rating for me.


(An ARC was provided by Netgalley for an honest review. I was not compensated in any other way.)

No comments: