Friday, August 22, 2014

Book Review: Amulet #6: Escape From Lucien


Kazu Kibuishi's #1 NEW YORK TIMES bestselling series continues!

Emily, Navin, and their friends continue to battle the Elf King in hopes of destroying him forever, but one of his most loyal followers, Max, isn't making it easy for them. The crew journeys to Lucien, a city that's been ravaged by the war. Emily has more enemies there than she realizes -- and it'll take everything she's got to get herself and her friends out of the city alive.

NO SPOILERS

Ha! I don't usually do graphic novel reviews. I should write more but I fly through them so quick. Then I forget to do it. lol

Ok, I was fortunate to grab an ARC of Amulet #6: Escape From Lucien from Netgalley and as usual, I loved it!

The story and art continue to be consistent and fantastic. It has a wonderful flow using a combination of panels and text. Between the images and the text it's like watching a movie in my head. I loved the whole experience and I have that with every book in this series.

Book 6 picks up where 5 left off of which is good. Each book has its own arc which is completed at the end which is good. I love stories like these.

The characters each have their own issues and developments which I appreciate. Each book adds more and more to the overall story which is spectacular because this story is not episodic like most comics or graphic novels. This reads more like a continuous novel which I enjoy more. I suppose this is where I start to notice how the story is slightly lacking. 

It's extremely minor, mind you. It's just that there is so much to tell and with adding new characters and subplots, it's hard to fit that all in one book. I understand completely why it is done because sometimes there are page limits to comics. There is a lot of work that goes into one book and I can only read in awe during each one.

Still, this is one of my favorite graphic novel series and I seriously urge you to pick this up if you're open minded to comic. It's not just for kids. I don't even have kids of my own but I love the story. So if you're young at heart or just enjoy a good read, pick this up. You won't be disappointed. You might want to pick up the whole series. You'll blow through them pretty fast. ^_~


4.5 out of 5 rating for me!


(An ARC was provided by Netgalley for an honest review. I was not compensated in any other way.)

No comments: