Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Book Review: INSPIRED by Danielle Shipley


Release Date: March 17, 2014
Target Reader: Adult
Keywords: Fiction
Formats
ISBN / ASIN
Price
Paperback
978-1-937744-43-4
$12.99
Kindle
$3.99
EPUB
978-1-937744-44-1
$3.99

For a muse like Lucianíel, one story’s end is another’s beginning.

In the wake of his author’s sudden death, Luc takes ownership of her surviving creations—four fantastical characters with tales yet to be told—saving them from unwritten lives crumbling around them and giving them a second chance at a literary future.

Luc finds that chance in the unsuspecting mind of Annabelle Iole Gray, a quirky teen with her head in the clouds, nose in a book, and imagination ripe for a brilliant muse’s inspiration.

Or so he hopes.

Neither Luc nor Annabelle, however, realize all they’ve undertaken. Even with a to-write list including accounts of a shape-shifting cat creature, gentle knight-in-training, vigilante skater girl, and a mystery boy smothering in unspoken fear, the most remarkable saga created between author and muse just may turn out to be one stranger than fiction.

Their own.
NO SPOILERS


Danielle Shipley has done it again! OK! Wow, this book was hopping, in all the best ways possible of course. Now, most of you who follow my blog know that I've read a few novellas of Shipley's series of the Wilderhark Tales which you can read my reviews (1, 2, 3) and loved them. I'm pleased to say that this feeling does not change as I read INSPIRED. In fact, I'm pretty sure it made me love her more as an authoress. She has this magical way of telling a wonderful story with her own thoughtful spins.

We have multiple POVs because there is so much going on with this book and because of the various sub-story lines. Shipley's writing style continues to be charming. She can bring a reader to change emotions easily but not without justifiable reasons. Overall, the right combination of emotions that can move a reader from happy to sad in a matter of chapters. I was a bit disjointed at first when I first started reading but once I quickly became accustomed to all the characters and it was easy to identify the character or POV. When I think about it now, it was cleverly done and I'm not sure I would have been able to write it more clearly myself. So well done!

I loved all the characters. They each had their own personality so it would be hard to confuse any of them. To be honest, when I first saw the description of the book and the various characters within I was a bit confused. I quickly understood why after a few chapters. All the characters are inherently good but they have their flaws but you can't help but love them for it. Lovable. That's pretty much the one word that sums up all the character in my opinion.

Despite the fact that this is a novel instead of the novellas I've previously read I still feel that I want more in the end and that it's just the beginning for something more. It's still quick paced and still leaves you wanting more but I feel it does have a bit more of a completed conclusion but it's pretty open ended but satisfying nonetheless. I wonder if this book is a standalone or will it have a sequel? I'll have to ask. 

This book probably speaks most to us who are or want to become writers. But I feel this can apply to not just writers but also artists or other creative types. The theme of the story is nearly universal in terms of creativity. INSPIRED is more than an apt name for the title. It has helped rekindle my eagerness to write, draw, and create. I have this sudden urge to do fan art of the characters as well. XD

If you couldn't already tell I enjoyed the book. It's creative and pushes the story telling just a bit. I feel that Shipley authentically told what it's like to write a story but in a creative way that makes you experience it without having to do the writing. I wholeheartedly recommend you all to pick up the book. You won't be sorry that you did!

Ok, I'll have to stop now, I need to work on writing reviews without spoilers. If I write any more I might spoil something for you so hurry, go grab a copy and read it! Stop by and let me and the author know what you think!

One last thing, one lesson I learned from this book: If I ever feel like I'm in a block, I'm going to blame my muse. (just kidding)


4.5 out of 5 rating for me.

(An ARC was provided by the author for an honest review. I was not compensated in any other way.)


About the Author:

 

Danielle E. Shipley’s first novelettes told the everyday misadventures of wacky kids like herself. …Or so she thought. Unbeknownst to them all, half of her characters were actually closeted elves, dwarves, fairies, or some combination thereof. When it all came to light, Danielle did the sensible thing: Packed up and moved to Fantasy Land, where daily rent is the low, low price of her heart, soul, blood, sweat, tears, firstborn child, sanity, and words; lots of them. She’s also been known to spend short bursts of time in the real-life Chicago area with the parents who home schooled her and the two little sisters who keep her humble. When she’s not living the highs and lows of writing young adult novels, she’s probably blogging about it.

Twitter@DEShipley


No comments: