Friday, February 7, 2014

Book Review: The Seventh Spell (Book Three of The Wilderhark Tales)


Where to Find The Seventh Spell:
B&N Nook
A witch’s attempt to cast one spell too many casts everyone touched by her previous spells into chaos. Scattered throughout each other’s pasts, Sula and Edgwyn, Villem and Rosalba, and the rest of the magic’s affected have a single chance to break this last enchantment before their “happily-ever-after”-s cease to have ever been.
SPOILERS BELOW

Ok, wow. Ok, this book has to be my favorite so far with all the fairy tale references it was hard not to be pleased. This is the third book of the Wilderhark Tales (1:The Swan Prince and 2: The Stone Kingdom). We're back with Sula, Villem, Rosalba, and Edgwyn! PLUS we get to meet some NEW CHARACTERS! The story is told from multiple point of views (POV) so don't expect just these main four. I found the other POVs refreshing, it's nice to see the different personalities. :)

The story is still written with the same wonderful lyrical voice as the previous two novellas. I was pleased to see the quality of the storytelling have remained fairly constant throughout the series. I do have a few qualms with this story but it didn't bother me enough affect my enjoyment of the story.



First, I felt that the story was a bit rushed and the writing a little more rough but I did read an ARC. In addition, considering it's a novella it's to be expected. Secondly, my nitpickiness made me feel that everything happened too easily for the characters. I would have liked to see them struggle a little more and overcome the obstacles before them but with such a limited word count/page limit it's understandable why the author wrote what she did and she did it well. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have wanted the story to end midway through their adventure anyways. Third, I felt that the stakes weren't high enough in this story. I mean it was, but the pressure to accomplish the task wasn't as daunting as the previous two stories. That may have to do with the fact of covering so many things but it's a minor issue. One I don't mind too much given we are tossed so many different characters and their stories.

The story was extremely clever! I loved the idea of a "Seventh Spell" so I knew this was going to be epic in some form or another and it didn't disappoint. The characters went on another wild adventure racing against the clock or else everything they've known and loved will disappear forever! I felt the worst for Edgwyn and Rosalba who are my favorite couple (I may have a new favorite couple besides this one after reading this book ;D). As I was reading I felt so sorry for poor Edgwyn as he always gets the short end of the stick. Again he's thrown into a mess but as always he handles things like a champ. Rosalba also got her fair share of troubles. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tolerate who she had to with such composure. Likewise with Edgwyn, I would have lost my temper where he was able to keep it bottled up. Good for you two!

I was slightly disappointed in Sula. I understood her desires and actions but still couldn't help but feel like she was extremely selfish. I'm not sure if it's because she reverted to her previous state or if it was her age but the way she treated those she loved. All I can say is tut-tut-tut. *shakes head* Villem, you are a good man who is able to understand and love her despite her flaws. That is true love right there folks.

I loved the new characters! It was fun to meet all the new ones and it was quite easy to pick out who was who as I read on. All the new characters and their story threads were clear so I never got confused. That, my friends is good story telling! My only wish was that the story was more unpredictable like in Miss Shipley's first story. For me the unexpected twists always makes the stories more enjoyable.

The ending was clean and satisfying. It didn't really leave any cliffhangers or hints of what may happen in the next book. I did have a few questions once I finished the story but I'll leave it to the next book for answers. Most of the important loose ends have been tied up so you won't be let down with this ending. If you loved Shipley's first two stories I'm sure you'll love this one too!

Miss Shipley, you are a wonderful fast writer! Now please write faster so I can read the next ones! XD (Just kidding. Write at your pace but keep it up the good work. Your stories are fantastic! I can't get enough!) What are you people still reading this for? Go get your copy!

4 out of 5 rating for me!


(An ARC was provided by the author for an honest review. I was not compensated in any other way.)


About the Author:

 

Danielle E. Shipley’s first novelettes told the everyday misadventures of wacky kids like herself. …Or so she thought. Unbeknownst to them all, half of her characters were actually closeted elves, dwarves, fairies, or some combination thereof. When it all came to light, Danielle did the sensible thing: Packed up and moved to Fantasy Land, where daily rent is the low, low price of her heart, soul, blood, sweat, tears, firstborn child, sanity, and words; lots of them. She’s also been known to spend short bursts of time in the real-life Chicago area with the parents who home schooled her and the two little sisters who keep her humble. When she’s not living the highs and lows of writing young adult novels, she’s probably blogging about it at www.EverOnWord.wordpress.com.

Also follow her on Facebook and Twitter!



MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW
Ok I couldn't keep this to myself. I LOVED that we get to see Sula and Sigmund meet again. I pretty much was ecstatic to see what would happen. I so wanted to see more of them interact again after the first book. I wished there were more of an explanation to their encounter and behind their story, especially for Sigmund.

I have a new favorite character! Ok, apparently I tend to favor the male characters of Miss Shipley's imagination but it's hard not to fall in love with them. Oh my goodness, Lute! You have my heart for this book! I still love Villem and Edgwyn but Lute is so entertaining! I do like the other princesses too! However, I can't say I like Aurabella too much. Also Gaol, I'm not fond of you in the least at the moment. XP I hope that changes soon!

AFTER THOUGHTS
I had some after thoughts once I finished the story that haven't been answered that I wish had been. I just wonder besides the spells how else the characters have been or will be connected. I'm thinking and hoping that this isn't the last we see of the new characters.

I did notice that a certain somebody didn't reappear at the end which I expected. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. I'll just leave that as a mystery for now. Still I'm looking forward to the next book in the series!

2 comments:

deshipley said...

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! 'Tis much appreciated. ^.^

Aisazia said...

You're very welcome! I very much enjoyed the book! Thanks for allowing me to review it! :D