Book Review: Cress (Lunar Chronicles #3)


Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard.

In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.

SPOILERS BELOW

When I first saw the cover for Cress I squealed with delight, I've loved every cover design for the series so far so I had to get a copy for myself. I finished Cress a few days ago once I got my pre-order and realized I had a snow day. I was going to wait for the weekend because I get off work later and didn't want to stay up too late. Once it was determined I had a day off I knew it was destiny for me to finish the book because once I start a good book I can't stop. lol So I grabbed my copy, a cup of tea, and made myself comfy. It was the perfect reading day. 

Cress was fairly well paced and had interesting enough events to keep me reading. The book started off strong with us picking up where we left off at the end of Scarlet. We get a glimpse of the crew a little more and their relationship with each other which I enjoyed. I do feel like it needed to be more developed because I think they've only known each other for a month or so. I feel like it was rushed and don't quite feel like they know each other well enough to trust each other. Still, I accepted it and moved on because it was supposed to be Cress's show.


Cress was adorable. I do like her a lot. She's sweet and naiive but still had a little bit of a fighter in her. I don't quite like how she wasn't strong enough to fight Sybil due to her lack of Lunar ability but I do think she's strong in her own way. She didn't really try to rebel until the last minute, I wished that she did try more through out her life but I suppose hacking and watching Earthen feeds were enough of a rebellion against Lunar. 

Cress is clever and I love that about her. I love her daydream like tendencies, I sometimes have those but not to the point where I'm another person but close to it. lol It helps her adapt and stay strong as her life drastically changes. She's small but that doesn't stop her from doing anything. She is still a trooper, especially when she has to walk a lot for the first time in her life, in a desert. I doubt that I'd have enough gall to travel it like she did. I love her optimistic outlook, most in her situation would probably be the opposite but she made the best of the situation. Her hacking skills are awesome and I truly feel that she's is and will be a significant part of helping Cinder and crew.

Thorne was not quite a disappointment but he didn't live up to the hype I had hoped he would. He's still charming and I still adore him but he's gone down a bit on my list of favorites (Iko's - #1). I should give him a break since he's gone through some difficult times with his problems but in a way it does make him more human. He did tried his best and always tried to protect Cress as well as survive the desert which is a significant feat. 

It's just that my ideal of him has been knocked down several pegs. This is because Meyer writes him not as the hero I had expected him to be and he lost some of his good humor. He became a little more cynical at times which makes sense considering what he's had a to deal with but it definitely made him more realistic. I do still think that he's a great character and still admire him for handling his problems but I am looking forward to seeing how he deals with future issues. I feel that he seems to be able to deal with his problems better than Wolf.

I did expect Thorne to have a more prominent role in the story but sort of feel like it was overshadowed by all the other plots bouncing around point of views with the other characters. Wolf was an extremely sulky thing. He was barely there thinking Scarlet was dead and I found that a little annoying. I wanted him to be angry and roar. Do something about it and go find his woman. Instead he was just Mister Grumpy Pants. 

Then Scarlet, poor girl, had the brunt of the attacks having to be a slave/pet to the Lunars. I think I felt the worst for her. For whatever little we saw of her, it was rarely a good thing. I cringed at particular parts for her. I hope she gets saved or escapes soon! Iko was wonderful, I love that we get to see more of her and she gets a body she's always wanted. I love her. She always cracked me up where I thought Thorne would in the book. Also Dr. Erland is back! Good to see someone who knows things but OMG does he discover some interesting things! They are juicy. I'll just leave it at that for you.

We did get to see Jacin and Winter, the stars of the last book of the series which I eagerly await. However, I wasn't too fond of Jacin, I've yet to see something that will make me like him. Apparently he was in all 4 books according to Meyer in a Tweet. I didn't know that so I'll have to go check. Winter, on the other hand, I like already! She's a bit crazy but she has a well meaning heart and that's what matters. lol

Overall, I enjoyed the book but I felt it lacks what Cinder had and feel like it's more along the lines of Scarlet. While I liked both Scarlet and Cress I feel that perhaps there are too many plot lines in the story to make it solid. While I do like the writing and the stories I can't help but feel like it's not quite the impact I had been waiting for in the climax. Perhaps, I'll see more of the climax in Winter but this was still an enjoyable read for me. I do like the end of the Cress better than Scarlet as there is a bit more of a satisfaction at the end of the story. 

Ultimately, I do very much like reading Cress and Meyer does write some great believable protagonists that it's hard to go wrong picking up her books. I'll still be excited to see all the characters in the finale book next year! I can't believe Winter will be the end of the characters but do look forward to seeing the final book of the Lunar Chronicles.

3.7 out of 5 rating for me.


0 comments: