Thursday, October 3, 2013

Author Interview: Becca J. Campbell

Hey guys! I've got a great author interview for you! It's Becca J. Campbell author of the new novel Empath! As you might know her Empath Blog Tour has already started so go check it out! If you're on the fence about picking it up check out my review of it. Plus, during the blog tour the e-books are only $.99! How great of a deal is that? So get it now before the price jumps and you regret not getting it.

Below is more information about Empath and the blog tour, if you just want the interview go ahead and skip down but be sure to stop back up here if you're interested in reading more about Empath! :D Thanks Becca for answering my questions! I enjoyed the interview very much and your responses were great!





Empath Purchase Links

During the Empath Blog Tour (September 16th - October 20th), the first book in the Flawed series will be on sale for a discounted price of $0.99. Grab it for cheap while you can!



Empath (Flawed Book One)

Supernatural empathy isn’t a gift, it’s a curse. Anywhere she goes, Jade’s emotions are replaced by those of the people around her.

Jade grew up in a suburb of Colorado Springs, protected from other people by her parents. Now she faces college—and the world—with nothing to shield her from unwanted feelings.

When Cam, a classmate with a major crush on her, unintentionally hijacks her emotions, Jade struggles to keep from being carried away in feelings of attraction. When Ethan, a psychopath with a thirst for fear, fixates on her, the emotional impact could be lethal.

Caught in a deadly trap, Jade must untangle the emotions and find a way to use her empathic curse to overcome this killer or be overcome by him.



The Interview

What inspired the idea of "Empath" and the "Flawed Series"? How many books do you have planned for the series?

I’m a geek at heart, and there’s always been something intriguing about comic-book-type stories in which people have superhuman powers. Heroes, X-Men, Smallville, that kind of thing. I wanted to write something like that, but with my own twist on it. I'm also a big sucker for an old-fashioned love story, like Anne of Green Gables, so I knew my book was going to have a good dose of romance as well.

But I wanted to using the tired, old, superhero trope in a new way. Something that hadn't been done before. That's when I thought of the concept of writing about people with superhuman weaknesses. Since then, I've discovered I really enjoy writing about flawed individuals.

I've already written the first three books in the series, and there's potential for more. I've written another book in the Flawed world, though it doesn't fit into this series, as it has completely different characters and is more straight romance than thriller. I'll publish the first three Flawed books as quickly as I can get them out, and beyond that, I'm leaving it open in case I decide to write more.




How long did it take you to write "Empath"? Are you a planner or a pantser?

Empath was my first novel--ever, and it took me nine months to complete the first draft. We won't mention that it went through eleven more revisions before being complete. Whoops. I mean... ahem.

I pantsed most of it because I was trying out the whole "writing thing" and because I didn't really know any better. On my second book (Foreign Identity) I pantsed the first few chapters, then decided to plot the rest out before writing more. Since then, I've switched to plotter all the way. I'm laid back about it though, I keep my outline really loose and general, and I'm flexible in case I need the plot or characters to change along the way. This type of writing style works really well for me (and typically means I can avoid the dozen or so drafts before a manuscript is publishable).


What made you choose the setting to be in Colorado Springs?

I love Colorado, and I think it's beautiful. That's pretty much what it came down to. The story might have been set in New York if I were more familiar with the city, but for the most part, I prefer to write what I know. That, and the characters fit really well there. Jade, hiding from the world; Logan, a hermit in his own right, and Ethan, the nomad. None of those would have played out as well in a big city.


Which character do you think you relate most to in "Empath"? Who is your favorite character?

I'm not very similar to any of the characters in Empath, but they're all a part of me in their own ways. I have Chloe's and Cam's love for adventure and need for social connectivity, but I'm also introspective like Jade. Logan's melancholy tendencies appear every once in a while, and I'm creative like Josh (though not musically). Even Ethan and I share traits (creepy as that may sound!). He's very calculating and he likes to plan thoroughly, but sometimes he allows his decisions to be swayed by a whim. In those ways, we are alike.


Did you carefully choose the character's special abilities or did they appear on their own?

The abilities developed with the characters. Her disability meant Jade had to have been sheltered, and was probably not merely an introvert, but socially very timid. It was much the same with the others. I began with the ability and crafted the character around it, forming each to how I felt he or she would be. I feel a little bad for Chloe. She got the raw end of the deal when it comes to flaws. I like to fondly refer to her as the "bait." :)


If you could, which special ability would you prefer to have?

Since these are all flaws, rather than abilities, I don't know that I can easily pick one. But I have a character in Outsider (book two) who has an excellent ability that I'd love to have. I won't spoil what it is, but I'll tell you that her name is Alex, and she's actually the most like me as far as characters in the Flawed series go.


Did you attend college? What did you major in? What was your favorite and least favorite classes?

I did go to college. I was an art major for two years, then switched to Interior Design. My art and design classes were my favorites by far. My least favorite were any type history classes I had to take. I graduated, got certified, and worked at an architecture firm for seven years before I "retired" to focus on home educating my kids and growing my writing career.


A non-Empath question: I know you are the co-creator of Junowrimo, what made you decide to start that?

I told you about my first two books, but I didn't mention the other five I've written. My third novel was written via NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). After a nine-month first draft on Empath, writing an entire novel in thirty days seemed insane--and it was, but in the best way ever. I was hooked, and decided that's how I would write all my other books. But once a year wasn't enough, and I crave that social peer pressure that thrives during NaNoWriMo. So when I talked about pulling off a WriMo in June and one of my Twitter buddies got as excited as I did, it wasn't long before JuNoWriMo became a reality.

June is a great month for me to write, and we discovered that a lot of other people felt the same way. In our first year with only a couple months of time to develop the event, we had almost a hundred participants! Last year we quadrupled that, which was super exciting. We're trying to make it bigger and better for next year. That said, our event is similar to NaNoWriMo (though not affiliated), but we have a much tighter-knit community. It's a great place to meet other authors, make friends, and be supported in your writing. Join us at JuNoWriMo (we open for next year's registration in April).


   
Author Bio


Becca J. Campbell is the author of the New Adult Romantic Science Fiction novels Foreign Identity and Gateway to RealityNew Adult Romantic Paranormal Thriller Empath (The Flawed Series #1), and  Sub-Normal, a series of Science Fiction short stories.

An avid lover of stories that tiptoe the line between fantasy and reality (even when they plunge off one side or the other), Becca looks for new angles on bridging the gap between the two. She holds a special place in her heart for any story that involves superpowers or time travel. Her passion is defying the limits of her own creativity. You can find her on her Author BlogFacebookTwitterGoodreads, Pinterest, and Amazon.

 

No comments: