Book Review: The Stone Kingdom (Book Two of The Wilderhark Tales)

One thoughtless act is all it takes to bring the curse threatened on Rosalba’s christening day to pass. Now the princess must combine her desperate determination with the service of benevolent tailor Edgwyn Wyle to find the second half of the key to her kingdom’s restoration.
Minor Spoilers

A worthy sequel to The Swan Prince, I found this story as riveting as the first book. Again, the same complaint with the first book was that it was too short! As mentioned in the first review I feel Shipley does a wonderful job writing in a lyrical, fairytale manner. I do feel that the ending was rushed and cut short. I would have loved to see how things played out to the end. Instead the author cuts things short. Nice and clean I suppose but left me wanting more and wondering what happened to the characters afterwards.

I think Shipley did a wonderful job at pacing the romance this time around. Instead of the typical insta-love, the author carries the romance in a logical manner. It was still a bit fast but much better considering it's still a fairly quick read. Well done!



Now you do get to see Sula and Villem again in this book but not for very long as they aren't the main characters. Though I'm happy to see that they are back, even if it is for minor roles. The main characters for this book is Rosalba, Sula and Villem's daughter, and her companion Edgwyn. They both have their own personalities compared to Sula and Villem.

As for the characters I did find myself liking Rosalba and Edgwyn more and more as I got to know them. Rosalba isn't the typical princess I thought she was going to be which is good. Very level headed and capable of handling herself considering her situation. I found myself agreeing with her on multiple occasions. Edgwyn I adored very much. It's not common to see a male tailor these days as it is stereotyped that men shouldn't/can't sew. It's good to have positive characters that break that stereotype. What I liked more was how selfless he was and he indeed was incredibly diligent but wasn't afraid to do the things that he wanted to do. You'll just have to find out what I mean by reading the book. ^_~

I love books that carry meaning or where the character learns from a lesson without being preachy and indeed this is a story that teaches you a little something. What is the lesson? Well you're going to find that out for yourselves! I believe books that do that has a certain value, and that may just be my personal opinion, but when a book has that it increases in likability and value to me. Hopefully you all feel the same way.
This is another great book in The Wilderhark Tales and I look forward to the third book which was previewed at the end of the second book. The third book looks to me to be the best of them all as it refers to the first two books! Sorry for being vague but I have so much feels for these books that you really need to look into it for yourselves! Again I direct you towards the links to buy this darling book from its equally lovely author.

4 out of 5 rating for me!


(An ARC was provided by the author for an honest review. I was not compensated in any other way.)





About the Author:

 

Danielle E. Shipley’s first novelettes told the everyday misadventures of wacky kids like herself. …Or so she thought. Unbeknownst to them all, half of her characters were actually closeted elves, dwarves, fairies, or some combination thereof. When it all came to light, Danielle did the sensible thing: Packed up and moved to Fantasy Land, where daily rent is the low, low price of her heart, soul, blood, sweat, tears, firstborn child, sanity, and words; lots of them. She’s also been known to spend short bursts of time in the real-life Chicago area with the parents who home schooled her and the two little sisters who keep her humble. When she’s not living the highs and lows of writing young adult novels, she’s probably blogging about it at www.EverOnWord.wordpress.com.

Also follow her on Facebook and Twitter!

1 comments:

everonword said...
September 20, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Thanks so much for the review! I'm thrilled I was able to generate such positive feels. XD

~ Danielle