Book Review: Empath (Flawed #1)

Empath eBook cover SM
Where to find Empath:
During the Empath Blog Tour (September 16th - October 20th), the first book in the Flawed series will be on sale for a discounted price of .99.
Grab it for cheap while you can!
Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Barnes & Noble | iTunes | Kobo

Supernatural empathy isn’t a gift, it’s a curse. Anywhere she goes, Jade’s emotions are replaced by those of the people around her.

Jade grew up in a suburb of Colorado Springs, protected from other people by her parents. Now she faces college—and the world—with nothing to shield her from unwanted feelings.

When Cam, a classmate with a major crush on her unintentionally hijacks her emotions, Jade struggles to keep from being carried away in feelings of attraction. When Ethan, a psychopath with a thirst for fear, fixates on her, the emotional impact could be lethal.

Caught in a deadly trap, Jade must untangle the emotions and find a way to use her empathic curse to overcome this killer or be overcome by him.
NO SPOILERS

I was lucky enough to recieve an ARC for Empath. The thing is that I've never read anything by Becca Campbell before. I only knew her from Junowrimo where she is the co-creator where I joined the event last minute and it was a lot of fun. I was curious about her stories as Becca already had written a half dozen of other novels. When she opened up requests to review ARCs I jumped on the chance which led me to Empath.

Ok enough of the back history, let's get to the review! Overall I enjoyed it a lot! Becca has an amazing way of keeping you hooked throughout the story which is great! Since I don't have an e-reader I have to read the story on my computer screen which can be a hassle and sometimes I can't sit still long enough to read the book than if I had a printed version but I found myself not wanting to stop. When I did stop I found that I could easily pick up back where I left off without any problems. Sometimes when I read and stop I have trouble picking the story back up but Becca's style of writing left me without that problem. Overall, her pacing and complexity of the story are wonderful!



I loved the concept of her story, ordinary people with not-so-ordinary abilities. Becca calls them flaws at one point and I can totally see it as such, because as cool as it would be to be extraordinary it always comes with disadvantages. That is probably what drew me to the concept, super-abilities! The story takes place in Colorado Springs and I believe the targeted age group is late teens to mid-twenties. Perfect for me!

The main character Jade is likeable, she's quiet and keeps to herself which I can relate with her. She has been sheltered her whole life due to her condition but it's interesting how she is able to grow from that. She learns to be on her own and tries to handle life as an ordinary person even getting a job. I would totally be the type to work at a Mountain of Books! lol I liked all the other characters as well and it was cute to see their interactions and relationships. Becca Campbell is very good at introspective writing from her character's point of view.

We see the book in mostly two point of views, Jade and Ethan which eventually come together and it's worth the wait. I don't want to give too much away but I can't help but like all the characters. Ethan is especially interesting and I can't wait to discover why he acts the way he does.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the book I can't help but feel like it lacked something. This is my personal opinion as I read a lot of fantasy/sci-fi books but I felt like the story could have used a little more "wow factor". I think I found it too ordinary. Again, this is my personal bias as I usually read more high-concept fantasy so I suppose I wanted more than just following the characters as they dealed with their abilities. I would probably want to know more about how, in addition to why they were granted their abilities. Becca also shares a few small prayers that the characters send to God often wondering why they were born or granted their abilities. None of that was bothersome and I think helped add to the characters and their vulnerabilities.

My overall opinion is that this book is definitely a pick up if you like the idea of super-abilities minus the costumes and witty banter. It's full of life and plausible mishaps. This story will make you question why you are born the way you are but also makes you grateful for what you are given as everything is given to you for a reason. If you're interested in picking up the book, get it now for only $.99 for your e-reader during the blog tour! (Check the links above.)

3.5 out of 5 rating for me!

(An ARC was provided by the author for an honest review. I was not compensated in any other way.)


 Don't forget to check out the rest of the blog tour starting September 16 through October 20!


Author Bio


Becca J. Campbell is the author of the New Adult Romantic Science Fiction novels Foreign Identity and Gateway to Reality, New Adult Romantic Paranormal Thriller Empath (The Flawed Series #1), and Sub-Normal, a series of Science Fiction short stories.

An avid lover of stories that tiptoe the line between fantasy and reality (even when they plunge off one side or the other), Becca looks for new angles on bridging the gap between the two. She holds a special place in her heart for any story that involves superpowers or time travel. Her passion is defying the limits of her own creativity. You can find her on her Author Blog, Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, Pinterest, and Amazon.


0 comments: