Thursday, July 25, 2013

Book Review: The Escape of Princess Madeline

The Kingdom of Soron is known for many things, its rolling landscape, haunting history, fiery sunsets, and its beautiful princess.  Princess Madeline woke on her sixteenth birthday to realize that her future had been planned out, a life full of privilege, royalty, and boredom... a life with a husband and knight champion that she did not choose.  Using her charm, strength and stubbornness, she defies the King at every turn, determined to keep her freedom on her terms.

Freedom quickly turns to disaster as she finds herself seized by a group of wandering bandits.   With the kingdom in turmoil over her capture- her Knight Champion eager to prove himself, a group of dedicated suitors determined to win her hand, and a group of exiled wizards join forces in the hunt to rescue her.  Follow Princess Madeline in this adventure to find freedom and love.


BEWARE MINOR SPOILERS

I enjoyed Princess Madeline, it was a fairly short read. Please note this is a Middle Grade book instead of the usual Young Adult that I read so that may influence my opinion/review.

First off, the earlier descriptors were beautifully written, the description of the backgrounds and castle were so vivid I could see it in my head. I loved how the author played with the colors of the sunset and how she described the events. It was so lively it was as if I found myself there. The characters were well described but I feel like their personalities to be lacking.



Princess Madeline started off as a naive rebellious princess which I love because she most surely can learn from it but I found that she really couldn't make it on her own very well once she escaped. Although she did learn from her experience I felt like that part of the story could have made her stronger and it did but I found that I kept wanting her to do something instead of waiting. I wanted her to take initiative of the situation or try to talk her way out of things but she didn't try. That was a little disappointing to me.

Sophia and her brother who were supposed to know Madeline the best seemed too self absorbed to help Madeline or even care about her feelings. I feel like Sophia should be more in tune with Madeline and her emotions. I would like to think that if Madeline were upset Sophia would make her a high priority because I believe that if they were best friends then they would almost be like sisters and should be able to read each other. Plus, I would think Madeline's brother would go out and try to search for her himself since he technically let her go. (Yeah if I was told to stay I'd probably would do the opposite too.) I'd understand if a prince isn't allowed to look for her but I didn't even see him try. Still with personalities like that it could only indicate that the characters have room to grow which I hope they do.

Only the knight Daniel seemed the most distraught about Madeline's disappearance and he was extremely passionate about finding her. Thus, Daniel is my favorite because of his determination and passion for Madeline plus I found him amusing. I love characters that make me laugh. I also love his romanticism in how he fell in love with Madeline. However, I found it a little too unbelievable that she felt the same after just meeting him. I would have thought she wouldn't like him at first but then I could imagine Daniel winning her love with his loyalty it just seemed too easy. I liked the wizards too, I wonder how they are a part of the story in the future.

At the beginning the pacing started off great but then I felt like it started to rush which I wish it didn't because after awhile I felt like I was told things rather than shown. Some of the writing jumped from Madeline's point of view to Daniel's which was a little jarring at times. I think the writing could have been executed a little better/cleaner but it did get the story across and the feelings were explored. I understand that it's a shorter story so not much development can be made in such a short amount of time so in that aspect I think the author did a decent job at summing the story up.

The ending was nice but there wasn't really too much development on how they got to that specific decision at the end besides it sort of being implied. At the very end I felt there wasn't enough closure between the characters and story line but there is a sequel so perhaps it was left open for that reason.

Overall I really wanted to love this story because it had so much potential. I do like it and it's not bad but I feel like it could have been so much more with the characters and story line. Do note that I'm writing this before I read the second book to review so there's a huge probability that it will all improve. I'm still looking forward to reading the second book to see the characters and story develop more so stay tuned!

3 out of 5 rating for me!

*DISCLAIMER: I want to thank the author for the e-copy to read for this review. Other than the given copy I was not compensated for the review and all the opinions in the review are my own.


This post is in part of the Book Blogger Fair so if you want to learn more about it check out the July 2013 directory for more authors/books, giveaways, events, and more!




About the Author:

Kirstin Pulioff is a storyteller at heart. Born and raised in Southern California, she moved to the Pacific Northwest to follow her dreams and graduated from Oregon State University with a degree in Forest Management. Happily married and a mother of two, she lives in Oregon, and enjoys being a stay at home mom. When she’s not writing, she is busy with her kids and church.

Find more about the author on her website, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, and Goodreads.

No comments: